Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Wow.

Well, the last chem test (not the last one I mentioned x_x) went really well. I left the room feeling pretty good about it, but I didn't expect a 99% on it! And the single point I lost was something stupid--I forgot to write the percent dissociation for HCl. That was brilliant. I have another one on Friday. Same kind of thing, but you have to do it three or four times for each problem. Hopefully my prof will be nice and not put four of the same kind of problem. I might die of boredom otherwise.

And now, some more interesting news. (Or not.) I seem to be at the center of some intra-familiar and inter-disciplinary conflict. When I filled out my college applications, I wrote "biology" as my intended major. And then I looked at the course requirements for the BS in bio (two semesters of general chemistry, two semesters of organic chemistry and a semester of physical chemistry). Turns out that's essentially a minor in chemistry (two semesters of gen chem plus lab and two semesters of o. chem plus lab) So I decided I was going to go for a BS in biology, a BA in environmental studies and a minor in chemistry. Until I took a bio class this semester. I was in it for a grand total of two weeks, because a) the university decided they were going to grant me credit for my AP grade after all, and b)I hated it. As much as I loved bio in high school, I can't seem to muster the same passion for it a year later, if that. Trouble is, that goes for basically anything. I don't have a strong enough interest in any of the humanities to do any more than dabble. I also don't know if I have a strong interest in any of the sciences to major in any of them. And this is where the parental units come in. Mum wants me to give bio another shot. She's really trying to push me away from the physical sciences. My dad, on the other hand, doesn't seem to care so much, though he was pushing me in the chemistry/biochemistry direction. It's sort of what I want to do, but I don't really know. And that means I have to work out what that means for the math requirements. I need to talk to someone, but I have no idea who. My adviser is the head of the English department, which is not good if I want to talk to HIM about something, science major that I (still) am, but he does know who I should go talk to. The other person who I think I could talk to is my chemistry professor, but he's probably sick of me, not to mention the fact that he has a class of 250 or so students to deal with as well. Now I just have to buck up enough courage to talk to SOMEONE...

No comments: